Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Investigators are still searching for a suspect and motive in the blast.
A small pipe bomb detonated on the porch of a College Park home early Tuesday, fire officials said. The device exploded around 2 a.m. outside a residence in the 8800 block of 48th Ave., according to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady. The blast caused minimal damage and no injuries, Brady said. Officials don't yet have a suspect or a motive, Brady added, but an investigation by the Office of the Fire Marshal and the Prince George's County Bomb Squad is ongoing. Authorities are withholding details about the bomb and the occupants of the home pending further developments in the investigation.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012
8th grader threw mother over shoulder, carried her to safety, in November fire.
The Prince George's County Fire Department will be awarding Thomas Johnson Middle School student, Taji Lee for a dramatic rescue which saw the boy carry his mother "fireman style" out of their blazing home. It all began on Thursday, Nov. 29 when fire and rescue teams responded to a reported house fire in the 6300 block of Naval Avenue in Lanham. Firefighters en route to the scene were preparing to rescue a person reported to be trapped inside. But when they arrived, they found that 13-year-old Taji Lee had already done all the rescuing which would be needed that night. Before firefighters had arrived on the scene, Taji had alerted a neighbor to the fire and asked them to call 911. Then Taji ran back home and carried his mother, Karen Lee…
The fire was in the kitchen of a second floor unit.
Nine University of Maryland students are displaced after a fire in a Knox Road apartment building Monday, according to a WUSA 9 report. Around 6:50 p.m., fire crews were quickly able to extinquish the fire in the kitchen of a second floor unit. No injuries were reported.
Friday, December 7, 2012
The Ledo's sign caught on fire Thursday night.
The sign at Ledo's pizza in the 4500 block of Knox Road caught fire Thursday night. The exterior sign attached to the building on the fourth floor of the parking garage and the awning of the building caught on fire with some smoke entering the building. There were no injuries, according to Prince George's County Fire Spokesman Mark Brady.
Wednesday, November 28, 2012
The cause of death is under joint investigation by the Prince George's County Police and Fire Departments.
Monday, November 12, 2012
There were no injuries.
Around 4:30 a.m. Monday morning a fire swept through a College Park house displacing the family who lived there. The fire was the result of a malfunctioning chimney and there were an estimated $25,000 in damages to the house, Prince George's County Fire Spokesman Mark Brady said. There were no injuries family is being housed by the Red Cross.
Friday, November 9, 2012
Learn how you can help.
Over a week after Hurricane Sandy hit the east coast, some families are still struggling to rebuild and reclaim their lives. Some of those people are firefighters and EMS workers who have had to help out others even though they were impacted. Prince George's County Fire Department is targeting their efforts to help those firefighters and EMS workers in New Jersey and New York. PGFD is seeking the donation of usable uniforms that can be worn by emergency personnel as they go about their job of helping others in the devastated areas. The Bunker Hill Volunteer Fire Department, PGFD Station #855, is coordinating a relief effort to collect items that will be sent directly to firefighters in one of the devastated communities. Additional …
Thursday, November 8, 2012
There were no injuries in the fire.
Some ghouls may have taken exception to the Halloween decorations out the Home Depot in College Park. The decorations, which were located in the front of the store, caught on fire Tuesday afternoon, according to Prince George's County Fire Spokesman Mark Brady. The fire was contained by the store's sprinklers and then extinguished by firefighters. No one was injured and the cause of the fire is under investigation.
Monday, October 15, 2012
No one was hurt in the blaze.
A fire struck a home in College Park early Sunday morning. The fire occurred shortly before 1 a.m. in the 5200 block of Palco Place in the Sunnyside neighborhood of College Park, just north of the beltway, according to officials. The basement of a two-story home was on fire— so heavily it quickly spread through the upper floors of the home and eventually broke through the roof. The cause of the fire is still under investigation and no one was hurt, Brady said.
Wednesday, October 10, 2012
The fire occurred on Knox Road.
There were no injuries in a fire that occurred Wednesday afternoon in College Park, according to Tweets by Prince George's County Fire Department Spokesman Mark Brady. The fire, in the 4600 block of Knox Rd. was cause by a dryer on the terrace level of a four-story, off campus apartment building. There was heavy smoke and firefighters are checking to make sure the fire has not spread.