University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution of the University System of Maryland. It is the largest university in both the state of Maryland and the Washington Metropolitan area.
Chartered as the Maryland Agricultural College in 1856, the school originally opened its doors to a total of 34 enrolled students. Today, University of Maryland is regarded as a "public ivy," and is ranked 53rd in the U.S. News and World Report's Best Colleges of 2009.
- Founding Date: Mar 05 1856
- Number of students: 37,000
- Public/Private: Public
- Financial aid: Yes
- Religious affiliation: N/A
- Acceptance rate (%): 39
- Parking: On-street: metered, Paid lot
- Degrees: Graduate, Undergraduate
- Programs: Study abroad, Summer studies
- Campus housing: Yes
- Sports conference: Founding member of the Atlantic Coast Conference
- Sports teams: The Terrapins, or "Terps," participate in the NCAA Division I and boast 27 varsity sports teams, including football. For a complete list of Terrapins athletics programs, visit www.umterps.com.
- Sports facilities: From the Comcast Center to the Maryland Golf Course, University of Maryland ensures that it's athletes and their fans have access to state-of-the-art facilities. Visit www.umterps.com/facilities/md-facilities.html for a complete list.