The proposed rezoning of the Cafritz tract will take the next step in the county's review process when it comes before the District Council just under a month from today.
Officials have scheduled a public hearing on the plan for 10 a.m. Wednesday, April 11 in the County Administration Building (14741 Governor Oden Bowie Dr., Upper Marlboro). A carryover hearing, if needed, has been scheduled for Friday, April 13 at the same hour.
The District Council, composed of the members of the Prince George's County Council, will weigh the Cafritz application and recommended conditions before holding a final vote. The proposal was in February after 15 hours of hearings.
calls for the developer's 37-acre parcel on the north end of Riverdale Park to be redesignated from Single-Family Detached Residential (R-55) to Mixed-Use Town Center (M-UTC), easing the way for the construction of more than 900 units of housing, a 35,000-square foot Whole Foods, a 120-room hotel, and additional office and retail space.
Though the complete record of the Planning Board hearing has been delivered to the council, additional testimony will also be accepted at this stage of the process. Those wishing to submit further comments on the plan—either in writing or in person—should be advised of the following guidelines:
- Persons desiring to speak may register in advance by calling the Office of the Clerk of the Council, Telephone 301-952-3600, TDD-301-925-5167, or may sign up on the day of the hearing.
- Individual speakers and representatives from a group or groups will be limited to three (3) minutes.
- Written testimony and/or exhibits will be accepted in lieu of, or in addition to, oral testimony. Written comments may be submitted to the Clerk of the County Council, County Administration Building, Room 2198, 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772.
- Emails or faxes will not be considered unless followed by an original mailed to the Clerk of the Council.
- The public hearing record will remain open until the close of business Monday, April 16, 2012.
- Free parking and shuttle bus service will be available the day of the hearing at the Prince George's Equestrian Center parking lots.
Copies of application no. A-10018 and related materials are available online or during regular business hours at the following locations:
- Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission County Administration Building Fourth Floor 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
- Office of the Clerk of the Council County Administration Building Room 2198 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772