Firefighters Extinguish Trash Can Fire in UMD's Stamp Student Union

University officials and firefighters have now given the all clear for the area.

Firefighters were called to University of Maryland's Stamp Student Union Thursday to extinguish a trash can fire, authorities said.

According to Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady, the small blaze occurred in a ballroom at the facility.

The fire was extinguished shortly before 1 p.m.

"Some smoke removal" was required, Brady said, but no injuries were reported. 

In a university-wide alert sent around 12:45 p.m., administrators urged people to avoid the area as firefighters completed their work.

Dana Caffrey January 13, 2013 at 07:06 AM
Good work firemen! I'm glad you're able to extinguish the fire and no one got harm. I salute all the hardworking firemen in the country! http://www.trashcansunlimited.com/


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »