There's across the region tonight—Wednesday, July 4—but the biggest show close by is the University of Maryland and City of College Park's annual Independence Day celebration.
Below we've got a full rundown of the festivities courtesy of the UMd. Newsdesk.
What's on tap:
- A fireworks show and free concert featuring The Fabulous Hubcaps, both held at UMd.'s Lot 1 (adjacent to Campus Drive off of Adelphi Road).
Schedule of events
- 5 p.m.: Concessions go on sale
- 7 p.m.: Concert begins
- 9 p.m. (est.): Fireworks blast off, lasting about 30-40 min.
- Hamburgers, hot dogs, funnel cakes, ice cream, snow cones, soda, and bottled water will be available for purchase at concessions. (The Dairy will be closed throughout the day, however.)
- Residents are still advised to bring some food and water to supplement the items on sale.
- Personal coolers are allowed.
- Be sure to bring lawn chairs and blankets, as grass seating is limited.
- Alcohol and personal fireworks are prohibited on campus.
- Use either the Campus Drive entrance from U.S. Route 1 or the Stadium Drive entrance from Route 193. Follow police directions to parking. (For more, see UMd.'s Campus Maps page.)
- Arrive early, as heavy traffic is expected to begin around 7:30 p.m.
- Late cars will be directed to park in outlying lots, which will offer free parking, but shuttle services will not be available.
- Disabled visitors are encouraged to arrive early, as parking for the disabled is limited in Lot AA.
- The best routes to exit campus will be the main Campus Drive gate onto Route 1, or Stadium Drive to Route 193.
- If the weather looks iffy—and there's currently a chance of thunderstorms Wednesday evening—call 301-405-3555 for event status.
- The raindate is Thursday, July 5.