Farmers markets are a great place to find fresh, affordable and locally grown produce, and with the arrival of The Farmers Market at Maryland, it’s now easier than ever for the College Park community to take advantage of all that farmers markets have to offer.
But, why shop at a farmers market? There are lots of good reasons, but here are our top three:
- Easy access to a variety of nutritious foods. Fruits and vegetables are natural, whole foods that provide highly beneficial vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Plus, local food is full of flavor and harvested at its nutritional peak. They can also be a great place to try a new, uncommon fruit or vegetable you might not be able to buy at your local grocery store. Learn more about how local produce can contribute to healthy eating habits at Choose MyPlate.
- Supports local farmers. Farmers markets provide fresh foods direct from farmer to consumer without corporate intermediaries, which helps to boost local economies and strengthen regional food systems. Not to mention, it keeps your money closer to home. Use the USDA's Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food compass to learn more about local food systems.
- Promotes a sense of community. Farmers Markets are community events, a chance to nurture relationships among neighbors and get to know the people who grow your food who often have great suggestions on how to prepare the food you're buying.
The Farmers Market at Maryland, brought to the University of Maryland campus by Wellness at Maryland and the Office of Sustainability, provides a weekly opportunity for local community members to purchase healthy foods, fresh from local farms right in their own backyard.
Mark your calendar and join us every Wednesday from 11am to 3pm and be part of making the market a thriving new community tradition. The market is open from late May to mid-November. There will be no market on Wednesday, July 4.
The market is located on Campus Drive in front of Cole Student Activities Building (next to the Stamp Student Union).
How do I get there?
The Maryland campus is pedestrian-friendly, and we encourage walking to the market, if possible, to limit the impact on the environment. You can plan your route using TerpNav at www.map.umd.edu.
- Parking: Nearby parking is available in the Union Lane Garage. Download a map for location, hours and rates.
- Biking: Bike racks are available along the Union Lane entrance to the Stamp Student Union.
- Public transportation: Metro buses have a covered stop in front of Cole Student Activities Building.
Learn more about the vendors and read other FAQ at www.farmersmarket.umd.edu.
Like The Farmers Market at Maryland on Facebook to stay updated on special events, promotions and what will be available each week.