Fire Officials Warn Earthquake Damage Could Lead To Possible Hazards
August's earthquake left some chimneys and ventilation pipes damaged.
Prince George’s County Fire/EMS is cautioning residents to have their home heating equipment cleaned and inspected.
Last weekend a malfunctioning furnace filled a Greenbelt apartment with smoke and a space heater may have led to a house fire in Landover, among other incidents around the county.
This year, there is an increased concern from fire service professionals for possible hazards cause by the August earthquake that left some chimneys and ventilation pipes been damaged. These are things homeowners might not be able to see, so it’s important to have a licensed professional check them, stated a press release from Mark Brady, Fire/EMS spokesman.
Here are some ways you can prepare for the cooler weather:
- De-clutter the area around your furnace and water heaters.
- Look at your furnace, ventilation pipes and chimneys for any obvious signs of damage.
- Install and maintain smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home and at work. Test them each month, and replace their batteries at least once each year.