City Council Meeting Preview
A summary of the major agenda items for Tuesday's meeting.
The College Park City Council will convene at 8 p.m. Tuesday. Meetings and work sessions are held in the Council Chambers on the second floor of City Hall, 4500 Knox Rd.
The City Council and Mayor will vote on the adoption of a new redistricting design. The plan, introduced at a June 14 public hearing, was created by a commission that considered 2010 census numbers and the number of voting residents. The council selected the third of three plans designed by the commission because, where development is expected, the districts were kept smaller. If the proposed plan is adopted Tuesday, changes would include:
- District 1 encompasses the IKEA Annexation area above I-495 and the Mazza Grandmarc Property.
- District 2 includes the View properties and loses some University of Maryland dormitories to Districts 3 and 4.
- District 3 includes East Campus and South Campus Commons buildings 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7.
- District 4 includes the Ellicott, Denton and Cambridge communities. District 4 loses the IKEA Annexation area, the Mazza Grandmarc and View properties.
Council will vote on the application for a beer and wine license for the Pizza Autentica restaurant to move into 8300 Baltimore Ave. on the ground floor of a student-housing complex. Based on work session discussion last week, no opposition is expected. The license application will then move on to a hearing before the county's Board of License Commissioners at the end of July.
Council will vote on whether or not to support county-level legislation regarding stormwater regulations, viewed as a compromise between the environmental community and development groups.
Animal Adoption Fees
Council will vote on whether or not to approve animal adoption and microchip placement fees, and if such fees should directly reimburse for medical costs incurred before adoption, such as for sterilizations, examinations and vaccinations. Current fees are as follows:
- Adoption fee for one adult cat: $75
- Adoption fee for two adult cats: $120
- Adoption fee for one kitten: $100
- Adoption fee for two kittens: $150
- Adoption fee for one adult dog: $120
- Adoption fee for other species: $75
- Adoption fee (senior, disabled adopter): $0
- Microchip placement: $30
Note: Microchip is a tiny device placed just below the skin to track animals so they can be found when lost.