5 Things You Need to Know Today: June 30
Little bites of news you just can't live without.
Here are some pieces of news to ease you into Thursday. We start off with the big happening of the day - the scheduled appearance of County Councilwoman Leslie E. Johnson in federal court. We're also trying something new - a Featured Facebook Page of the day. Check out #4.
1. County Councilwoman Leslie E. Johnson (Dist. 6) will appear in U.S. District Court today. She is charged with conspiracy to commit witness and evidence tampering in connection with the corruption charges against her husband, former County Executive Jack Johnson. WTOP reports that Johnson is expected to plead guilty
2. Today your kids can learn about fishing at Lake Artemesia, Berwyn Road and 55th Avenue. Park rangers will instruct children 6 to 10 years old in casting, fishing ethics, safety and so on. Cost for resident participation is $5; non-residents is $6.
3. Wednesday night, University of Maryland graduate Jeff Amoros competed in Jeopardy. Check back later today for coverage of the viewing party at his house, and to see whether or not he won.
4. Today's Featured Facebook Page is the College Park Volunteer Fire Department. Its wall is active, there are lots of photos, and the page just recently surpassed 400 "likes."
5. It'll be clear skies all day today with a high of 85 degrees. No worries about rain, with 0 percent chance of precipitation, but watch out for those UVs today. In other words, us reporters will be slathered in sunblock as we're waiting outside the courthouse in Greenbelt for Councilwoman Leslie Johnson to emerge...